Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sleep over with Nana

Nana came down to the hospital to sleep with Daner on Tuesday night.  What a wonderful Nana!  She loves to be with Daner and was so happy to come be with him and take care of him.  Also so wonderful so that Dane and Jamie could have a night where they were both home to be with their other kiddos. 

Update from Daner's dad:
Dane Woke up to the very strict instructions "no food no liquids". Today he had to be put under Anaesthesia for yet another lumbar puncture. For those of you who don't know what a lumbar puncture or spinal tap is, it is when they go into his spine with a needle and extract fluid and at the sometime they inject a type of chemo to kill any other leukemia cells that maybe "hiding out" in there. The chemo treatments he has been receiving don't or I should say can't pass that barrier, so they have to go in and inject it. Thank goodness for modern medicine, I guess years ago you just had to hold down your child for this type of procedure. Anyways...  he had a good morning over all, he was a little  hungry and itchy because of the hair that he continues to lose and his bed was full of tiny little hairs. We buzzed his head the other day but that just means short little hairs falling out instead of long hair. So While he was in the bath we decided to go ahead and shave his little head. We made it fun but it was killing me inside. It was a moment that I will never forget. Me and my little son in a quiet hospital bathroom shaving his head and both coming to a further unspoken realization of this cancer that has been plaguing his body and sharing a moment together that we will never forget. It has truly been an honor and privilege to serve my little boy in ways I never thought I would have to. This experience has taught me more about love and service than anything in my life. So after getting cleaned up and freshly shaven he was ready for his L.P. It went smooth and before long he was back in his room and ready to eat some hot wings that mom brought for lunch. Jamie and I spent awhile longer with him and then were spelled off by Nana who spent the night with him. He had us a little worried at times thru the night because of border line high temps but was able to break the fevers early in the morning. (Thanks mom for the hourly updates.) His ANC is down to 15 (.Ability to fight infections) a healthy adult ranges about 1500 To 2000 from my understanding, So we are being vigilant in keeping him safe and hence his long stay here at Children's. Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. They are being heard!

Update from Nana:

I love my one on one time with Daner and find it so enjoyable.  As a Nana who has the family over on Sunday's for dinner, most of the time a sweet hello is what I get and then they are off to play with cousins and jump on the tramp.  Rarely do I get the opportunity to have such precious conversations individually with each grandchild.  While I was having my time to come and stay the night with Daner we were able to have some really special moments talking about college, school, and in this case about engineers.  Dane's Uncle Kasey is graduating in engineering at BYU and his Aunt Katie is graduating in nutrition and I will be leaving with some of the family to celebrate this occasion and wanted Daner to understand why we would be gone for the weekend.  Daner wanted to know how engineers make their money and connected careers with schooling it takes to graduate in these fields and the labor involved to do certain jobs.  He had so many questions for me.  It was a hard night because Daner kept a fever that escalated throughout the night, but with reassurance from one of his excellent nurses and many conversations on the phone with Daner's concerned parents, and a very worried patient and Nana, we made it through with his temperature finally coming down to normal levels in the early morning.  This time to be with Dane and have these meaningful conversations were the highlight of my visit and so priceless.  I did have a funny moment in the morning with one of his more stiff physicians.  As his doctors were making their rounds they came in and nonchalantly gave me the results of his lp which tells if they have killed all the bad white blood cells in the spine.  He told me with having 2 negative results they were hopeful that on Friday, it too would be negative and Daner would be done with the lps for the rest of this first session of chemotherapy.  I was like "What?,  "you mean to tell me that he has 2 negative labs on this? "  The doctor replied that after further testing on the labs done last Friday, that they did give it a zero reading!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing!  I asked the doctor "why aren't you more excited about this, I feel like doing a toyota jump!  He finally broke a smile and cocked his head forward in a laugh, but quickly pulled himself back together and told me that yes, this was good news and the protocol they anticipated Daner to follow in.  I had to call Dane and Jamie and tell them right away, what a relief to us all!  I  called each of my children to tell them this wonderful news later in the day and get to share in the joy as I spoke to some of them and leave messages.  God answers prayers everyday!

4 comments:

  1. We sure love you guys and are praying for you here in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience Jamie, very touching! What an extremely tough place to be at and you guys are just making the best of it and being so strong! PRAYING HARD!!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to be amazed at the positive outlook you all have. I have been touched everyday by the smiles in the pictures, the love shared in words and actions, and the tremendous faith and strength you all have. We continue to pray daily for your family. You are a true examples of Christlike love, patience, faith and understanding. We love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. It amazes me how heavenly father can give us beauty in the storm. The love you have for one another in the middle of all of this is so full of goodness. It's amazing to see it. Much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete